Avana 100 contains the active ingredient avanafil 100 mg. It is a PDE5 inhibitor (phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitor) type of medication. It increases blood flow to certain parts of the body by relaxing the muscles. It blocks PDE5 in smooth muscle cells lining the blood vessels supplying corpus cavernosum to the penis.
Avanafil is used to treat erectile dysfunction (impotence). It is usually a faster acting medication that also passes through the body at a quicker rate than most erectile dysfunction drugs.
Mechanism of action
Erection of the penis is caused by the filling of the penis with blood. Filling occurs because the blood vessels that bring blood to the penis increase in size and deliver more blood to the penis, and, at the same time, the blood vessels that take blood away from the penis decrease in size and remove less blood from the penis. Sexual stimulation that leads to an erection causes the production and release of nitric oxide in the penis. The nitric oxide causes an enzyme, guanylate cyclase, to produce cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP). It is cGMP that is primarily responsible for increasing and decreasing the size of blood vessels carrying blood to and from the penis, respectively, and causing an erection. When the cGMP is destroyed by another enzyme, phosphodiesterase-5, the blood vessels return to their normal size, blood leaves the penis, and the erection ends. Avanafil prevents phosphodiesterase-5 from destroying cGMP so that cGMP stays around longer. The persistence of cGMP leads to a more prolonged engorgement of the penis with blood.
It is recommended to take Avana orally with or without food, 30 minutes prior to sexual activity. Patients usually start with an initial dose of 100mg, with additional dosages depending on the patients reaction to the medication. It is recommended to take the least amount possible for treatment, contact your doctor for the correct dosage. Do not use the medication more than 1 time every 24 hours. The medication will not cause a reaction without any sexual stimulation, erections will not occur by only taking the pill. Erections lasting over 4 hours may cause permanent damage to the penis, contact your doctor immediately should you encounter this problem.
The onset of action is 15 minutes, but the duration is up to six hours.
It is also necessary to note that the product:
- Has minimal side effects
- The action starts as soon as possible, and the effect is long enough
- The medication can be combined with fatty foods and alcohol
- The drug can be taken more than once a day.
The main advantage of avanafil is that it has very fast onset of action compared with other PDE5 inhibitors.
Common side effects may include:
- flushing (warmth, redness, or tingly feeling);
- cold symptoms such as runny or stuffy nose, sore throat
- nasal congestion
- back pain.
Patients should avoid grapefruits or grapefruit juice as it can cause a potential dangerous reaction when taken in combination with the medication. Patients should also not take the product with any nitrate medication as it may lead to a sudden decrease in blood pressure.
- Immediately proceed to your nearest emergency department if you suffer an allergic reaction. Symptoms usually associated with such a reaction include difficulty breathing or swallowing, chest tightness, swelling, skin rashes, and hives.
- Avana is not always suitable for all patients. Always consult your health care provider prior to using this medication if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, trying to conceive, using any other medication (prescription or non-prescription), using any herbal products or supplements, or if you have any allergies or other health problems.
|US Brand Name||avanafil|